BY JULIE CHENG
In these COVID-19 times, many people are choosing to ride their bikes to get from point A to B. It’s a great way to maintain physical distancing and get some exercise, sunshine and vitamin D at the same time.
If you’re looking for a safe ride, take one of the bike paths under the SkyTrain lines, which are well marked and have crossing lights at busy streets.
Central Valley Greenway from Renfrew/Rupert SkyTrain station to Burnaby Lake
This route gives you views of Still Creek and takes about 1.5 hours roundtrip from Renfrew Station.
1. Pick up the Central Valley Greenway from the Renfrew or the Rupert SkyTrain station.
2. Head east, safely cross busy Boundary Road at the crossing light.
3. The greenway takes you behind Home Depot. After the Home Depot parking lot, turn right at Gilmore.
4. Cross Gilmore at Still Creek Avenue, heading for Dick’s Lumber.
5. Follow the Central Valley Greenway, past the Toyota dealership on your left, Costco across the street on your right and the Burnaby Eco-centre (recycling centre) on your left. Be careful of the trucks leaving the driveways along this industrial stretch.
6. Cross Douglas Road and turn right where you can pick up the greenway next to Still Creek.
7. Continue past the overpass near the Sperling SkyTrain station. The trails of Burnaby Lake are now 5 minutes away.